Tuesday, September 30, 2003

GRANT RANT: WHY HALO FOR THE PC MUST DIE MORE THAN SCOTT TENORMAN
**** TRANSMISSION INITIATED ****


Let us take a game. A game that was originally developed for the PC. Convert this game to the X-Box. Then give this game to some bunch of dick-sucking wankers and have them make a PC version and TOTALLY FUCK IT UP.

Console conversions suck. But the PC version of HALO is the designated dick-sucker of all console conversions!

Firstly the control config is all fucked up in a way that only a console can actually make use of it. Secondly you can only save at chekpoints, a limitation imposed by consoles with poor input devices, not a PC with ~90Gb of secondary storage!

Secondly the performance of this game blow goats. I run an Athlon 1.4 (cooled, of course) with 768Mb RAM and ~90Gb ATA100 HDD's. I have a GeForce 2 64Mb card. Now, this system is no UberBeast but does perform very well...except for HALO...a game that was designed to run on a PC and then re-designed to run on a slower PC. If I take the resolution from 640x480 to something partially reasonable: 1024x768 the whole thing becomes an Unreal-style slide-show.

This is only the beginning. If I were to play more of this game I am sure that I would find many more points...but I have better things t do with my time.

The only thing that I can say is still good about HALO is the soundtrack....but I haven't heard all of it yet. I think that I shall return my copy.

You have just been reading another Brain Fart from Grant
****TRANSMISSION TERMINATED****

No comments: