Tuesday, August 10, 2004

Rant Retraction

Some of you may remember a certain rant I'd made about 'I, Robot'.

I actually went to see it, and I can happily say that the trailer made the movie look worse than it was. I actually think it falls into the realm of a Good Movie - I've got one little quibble with it, and that's all. And for a movie based on something I like (the credits say, "Suggested by Isaac Asimov's book" - heh) only having one small quibble is a Good Thing.

The quibble is only this - magic spoiler ink - the US military are apparently tree-hugging pacifists in 2035. The reason given for why they don't show up to stop the robot rampages are they rely heavily on US Robotics technology. Never mind that robots can't harm humans, so would be almost completely useless for military technology. Obviously someone in the brass thought it would be a PR coup if the US military inflicted no collateral damage or friendly fire...

But this is only minor, and doesn't take too much tweaking to save the main plot point, i.e. the military doesn't show up in time.
I liked it. Two thumbs up.

And Dr. Asimov lies peaceful in his grave.

No comments: