Sunday, October 03, 2004

Good Fantasy Novel

I was just reading the web site of one of my favourite authors, Ian Irvine, and have found that there are four more books planned for one of my favourite fantasy series The View From the Mirror (which is the first part of the Three Worlds Cycle).

If you haven't Read The View From the Mirror I suggest that you do. It is a fantasy series that stands out with a rich universe and a lot of events thoughout the series. In some novels the characters only go to a few places and do a few important things, in others (eg Lord Of The Rings) they go to quite a few places and do proportionally more. I found that at the end of each book in the series that so much had gone on I needed to read the synopsis at the beginning of the next novel to refresh my memory.

The characters have interesting histories. The cultures are rich with tradition. Magic, while powerful, has consequences.

The names of people and places are somewhat Lord of the rings-like. They are somtimes unusual, typically exotic but you can tell one from another.

No comments: