Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Day 06 - 26/02/2006

Total wreck this morning. The reception the night before somehow ended up
back in our room with a dozen people, including most of the bridal party
sans Bride and Groom naturally, consuming allof the duty-free liquoir that
no-one wanted to takeback with them. Plugged my iPod into the tv so we had
some music. It was fun. I went into my room at one stage to start some
packing for my early start in the morning and somehow passed out. for half
an our. It was one of those parties.

Eventually got the shuttle to the airport. Supposedly my baggage will go
directly through to London from Phuket, so hopefully I'll find it there.
Discovered the joy of Departure Tax - 500 Bhat you have to pay in order to
leave the country. Nice of them to tell us this wasn't it... Transferring
planes at Bangkok, after following their direcitons I somehow managed to
find myself having to go through Immigration again. Explaining to the
drone that I didn't have a departure card becuase I had already legally
'departed' the county took a little bit of explaining to them, but I
eventually eventally managed to point it out by me talking loudly and
pointing to the colouful stamp on my passported with the words 'Departed'
in nice bright letters.

Finally got onto the plane. Being served bannana chips. Wierd. The gods
are conspiring against me. I thought I would take it a little easy and ask
for a diet coke. Got served a normal coke first. Asked again for a diet
coke, and believe I've recieved a burbon and coke. Not in the mood for
booze at the moment...

Was served a beef mignon as the meal. The apple and plumb crumble tart was
nice. Now settling in for the long flight.

Skipped watching Pride & Prejudice - how many times do they have to remake
that? The BBC one from a few years ago is still the defnitive version for
my mind. Watched Mask of Zorro - can see why it didn't do anywhere near as
well as its predecessor. It was an okay film, but it was really dragged
down by its beginning. It just didn't seem like they knew how to get the
whole show started. And the stupidly contrived conflict/fighting between
the two leads - that kind of stuff went out the window years ago.

Am starting to wish this bloody flight was over. The damn button to signal
the cabin crew doesn't work, they all seemed to be somehow hiding and I
just want to get a bloody drink of some kind.

Temp on arrival = 4 Degrees. A bit of a change from what I'm use to.

Met up with Kathleen at Heathrow. She was a bit concerned that she was
going be late for some reason, but it all worked out in the end. Had to
catch the Express from Heathrow as the regular Tube was not running.
Welcome to the wonderful world of the British public transport system.
Kathleen rattled off a whole bunch of things about getting around on the
way back to her place, but they all pretty much went right over my head.
Hope it makes a little more sense in the morning.

No comments: