Friday, April 27, 2007

Music that surprises

Sometimes, you'll hear of a band or an artist,. and based on their media reputation you'll developed a pre-conceived notion of what their sound will be like and whether or not you'll like them.

And sometimes that notion you've got will be completely wrong.

This happened to me recently with a British singer named Amy Winehouse. Winehouse, who I'd never heard of before, seems better known in the UK for constant public drunkenness, fighting, numerous new tattoos and general f-u attitude.

For some reason, I'd developed the impression that she was another in the long line of 'empowered femi-grrll punk princesses' - you know - like Pink, Avril Lavigne, Christina Aguilera - type - manufactured music with an edge as sharp as a dull butter knife.

I got the chance to listen to some of her music the other day. I don't remember why, maybe I was flicking around youtube or something.

And I was wrong.

It's good.

Really good.

So good - I went out and bought both her albums.

Winehouse's music is best described as blues and soul. Not the crappy pseudo- rhythms pumped out be your Joss Stone's and Katie Melua's of the word. This is really dark, pulsing rhythms, with a really wicked bite in its humour.

Sometimes it's good to find out when you're wrong about something.

No comments: