Saturday, November 29, 2003

Way To Break The News


Well, I was over in Shoppingtown the other day, when I ran into someone I used to work with at Mobil. I mean, not really work with, 'cos she was morning shift and I was afternoon/night, but we'd see each other most days and have the occasional chat.
So she was smiling broadly (she always does that) while telling me how her life had been going in the eighteen months since Mobil. She'd gotten married, she'd had a baby, and her husband had killed himself.
Now, I'd actually met the guy - he was a courier who'd drop by the servo, which I guess is how they'd met - and he didn't strike me as the killing-himself type. She was still grinning, and I wasn't sure if she was joking.
Nope, she wasn't. He really had.
I guess when people break news like that, they ought to give some sort of hint that it's kind of a bad thing. But she grinned away, so I had to take the plunge. It's not the first time this has happened to me, either - there was a time at uni when I ran into a couple of guys from high school who told me someone I couldn't stand had killed himself. One of them was grinning at me. I wasn't sure if they were having me on, at first, but they weren't.
I guess what I'm saying is - PLEASE DON'T GRIN AT ME WHEN TELLING ME ABOUT SOMEONE HAVING COMMITTED SUICIDE. I'm starting to get sick of it!

No comments: