Tuesday, April 05, 2005

It Might Have Been Interesting...

I very nearly made an extraordinarily strange call to work this morning.

To set the scene: I was rostered to work (and, indeed, worked) at 2pm today. But I was dreaming last night. Those who have heard some of the things I dream might well understand that sometimes my dreams take a turn for the wacked-out and zonked, and this was no exception.

Among the things I remember...

1. Being an inquiry operator for Australian police operating in Chicago. This included running checks on names and reading back the results - I also remember one particular one where the copper essentially said, "We'll let you tell you his date of birth" and a loud American voice yelled out "KISS MY ASS!" For some reason, this was taking place in a room reminiscent of my bedroom at my parents' place.

2. The cast of some children's show I strongly suspect has no existence outside of the dream, though I think they turned up with history in the dream. I don't remember any names, and I do remember the patriach-magus guy (that's what he was called, honest,) saying what sounded like the show's catch phrase, something about how nothing would stop them from doing what's right. It went something like, "Neither frost, nor foul weather..." words starting with 'f', but I do remember the last one was 'fuck-up' - so I remember thinking "I should watch this show more often."

3. An island under attack. This may relate back to 2, since I believe the patriach-magus guy was fighting back by turning bits of the island into lava which had the effect of sinking things. There was also a massive storm.

4. The salvage operation on this island (bits were still sinking into the ground, despite the lack of lava around the place) the morning after. Until I saw a clock that read 8:37am and I thought "Oh no! I'm late for work! I'm on an early shift!"

So I woke up at 5:07am, and thought, "Crap, I really am late." Fortunately, I woke up all the way to before I climbed out of bed and realised that I was not, in fact, due at work for another nine hours or so. This was something of a relief.

Still, I find myself wondering about what I would have babbled into the phone if I'd dialled work then and there....

1 comment:

JamesA said...

Mate - I think you should lay off the pizza before bed.