Wednesday, April 27, 2005

Waiting Around

As a pleasant surprise to myself, I managed to break a finger at Indoor Cricket last night. Consequently, I got to spend three hours this morning sitting around at the local medical centre. First I had to be seen by a doctor, then wait for an x-ray, then wait for the result of the x-ray, then wait to see the doctor again.

End result? I've fractured the end of the fourth finger on my right hand. Oh, and did I know that I'd also fractured the same finger but a different joint on a previous occasion?

So then I had to wait around to go into the treatment room. Then wait around while they tried to find a splint for my finger. Then wait around as they ring around to find out where I had to go to buy a splint. Then wait around while they work out what billing code to use.

And the cost? $55.00 for an x-ray to tell them the obvious. $70.00 for a surgical consultation to read what the doctor at the x-ray clinic wrote in his note (both visits with the doctor taking a combined time of less than 10 minutes). And the splint? $16.00. It ain't the NHS, but it's getting close.

You know, I really should get myself better birthday presents in the future...

No comments: