Sunday, May 25, 2003

The System Is Down


I swear, computers hated me yesterday. I got into work, and almost immediately, one of the database systems we use collapsed. This was the funky one, with links to other databases, so its loss was a bit of a bugger. It left us with the backup system that doesn't give even half as much of the info as the other one did. So that was a bugger.

Then, about halfway through the shift, the main system we use for despatch decided to die - so we could no longer check addresses, phone numbers, yadda yadda yadda - so when 000 calls came in, we no longer had information at our fingertips. We were forced to use the backup system - bits of cardboard that get filled out and run around the room. We were so totally l33t.

And then, I get home, turn on my computer, and check my email. The email downloads, I go to load up a new page, and DSL dies. Not that that should be any great surprise. It's about the fifth time it's died this week alone. Still, the timing was eerie. So I am less than impressed with computers right at the moment.

Now, some of you may be thinking 'Aaah, but that's not the computer's fault, it's the fault of the people who support it. Oh, and DSL is a phoneline thing, not a computer thing.' To which I say, you're a Nazi computer sympathiser who cannot recognise the evil conspiracy that is taking shape against me, so you should die in a nasty and graphic way I don't have the imagination to describe right at the moment. There. That put 'em in their place.

No comments: